The Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania

The Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania

• Tucquan Creek Lancaster PA

Finding the Wonder in the Simple

The Tucquan Glen Nature Preserve is located in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. I was surprised at how beautiful this little preserve is as it follows the cascading Tucquan Creek down to the Susquehanna River. The hiking trails look well traveled so I was happy to be there on a cold weekday that was free of the weekend and fair weather crowds.

I left the tranquil Tucquan Creek and continued onto the more rugged Conestoga Trail. This trail follows the Susquehanna River and heads up and down a couple of steep hills to my ultimate destination, an overlook called The Pinnacle. By the way, there are two overlooks in Pennsylvania called the Pinnacle, not that anyone would be confused. This particular Pinnacle has an outstanding view of the the river below.

The Tucquan Creek

Tucquan Creek Lancaster PA

Tucquan Creek 3 by Richard Lewis 2017

Tucquan Creek Lancaster PA

Tucquan Creek 2 by Richard Lewis 2017

The Conestoga Trail

Rock Outcropping On The Susquehanna Conestoga Trail

Rock Outcropping On The Susquehanna 1 by Richard Lewis 2017

Rock Outcropping On The Susquehanna Conestoga Trail

Rock Outcropping On The Susquehanna by Richard Lewis 2017

Weeping Rocks by Richard Lewis 2017

The Pinnacle

Pinnacle Overlook Susquehanna River PA

Pinnacle Overlook by Richard Lewis 2017

Pennsylvania could easily be known as the “Waterfall State” since they are everywhere. Well known waterfalls in the Delaware Water Gap and Ricketts Glenn State Park are beautiful and attract photographers from all over. That being said, the little cascades that pass for waterfalls in Lancaster County may pale by comparison to their big brothers elsewhere in the state, but I could not help being thoroughly charmed by them.

Photography Tip:  Dare to be influenced. The whole time I was hiking here, I kept seeing scenes that reminded me of the landscape paintings of the Pennsylvania Impressionists and the Hudson River School artists. Both of these groups have played a major role in the shaping of my style of photography. Every time I stopped and set up my tripod, I let that influence guide my hand as I composed the photograph and eventually processed the finished images. These artists were known for composition, use of light, and tonality. I hope I did them a little justice with my work here.

Learn to be a better photographer

2017-05-23T15:22:21+00:00 April 15th, 2017|14 Comments

1. jane palmer April 15, 2017 at 11:37 am - Reply

Rich, these are just beautiful images! I love their simplicity, and especially the restraint you showed in processing them. Makes me want to don my hiking boots and hit the trail!!!!

• Rich Lewis April 17, 2017 at 7:43 am - Reply

Thank you Jane. This place was all about simplicity which is what I loved about it. Hey, anytime you don those hiking boots, head out hear and I’ll hit the trails with you!

2. Laura (PA Pict) April 15, 2017 at 1:40 pm - Reply

Stunning images as always, Rich. And you’ve given me another location on my list of places to explore in PA.

• Rich Lewis April 17, 2017 at 7:44 am - Reply

Thanks Laura. I was actually thinking that this area would be a great place for your family to explore. Between the hiking, arts and Amish culture, there is a lot to do.

3. Gunther April 16, 2017 at 11:38 am - Reply

Wonderful images Richard! I love the rocks, they make for some great trails to hike. Michigan also has some big famous waterfalls that I too avoided. Your weeping falls looks peaceful and indeed enchanting. Gunther

• Rich Lewis April 17, 2017 at 7:48 am - Reply

Thanks Gunther for your comment. Those rocks were something to fall in love with. I’m sure Michigan has a lot of great trails and I’ll have to get there some day. The weeping rocks was indeed a peaceful place. It was at the bottom of a steep climb and was a great place to take it all in before the hike uphill.

4. Pat Worley April 17, 2017 at 8:46 am - Reply

Lovely, just lovely.

5. Diane Nelson April 17, 2017 at 12:32 pm - Reply

Breathtaking….that’s all I can say. I want to be there experiencing that.

• Rich Lewis April 19, 2017 at 10:07 pm - Reply

Thanks Diane. You should head out there. It is a very nice area.

6. Bob D April 17, 2017 at 7:39 pm - Reply

You do a beautiful capture of the Susquehanna and my fav is the weeping rocks, tight composition, just enough color for balance and pop and the weeping; very unusual set of elements all brought together nicely.

• Rich Lewis April 19, 2017 at 10:06 pm - Reply

Thanks Bob. I appreciate the compliment. I’m really glad you liked the weeping rocks. It is one of my favorites but thought it may be a little too subtle.

7. Ralph Berglund April 26, 2017 at 2:21 pm - Reply

I like what you “see”.

8. denisebushphoto May 13, 2017 at 6:46 pm - Reply

Great set of compositions! They convey the peaceful feeling of an overcast day very well. My favorites are ‘Weeping Rock’ and ‘Tuquan Creek 3’.