Finding Florida

Finding Florida

Discovering the Beauty of Amelia and Big Talbot Islands

Although I’ve never been a big fan of Florida, I am there frequently due to business commitments. Maybe it’s the climate, but this state just doesn’t resonate for me visually. Sometimes I wouldn’t even even bring a camera to Florida. Why bring one if there is nothing interesting to photograph, right? This is contrary to my opinion that there is a photograph everywhere you choose to see one, so on a recent trip I decided to find the photographs in Florida.

Big Talbot Island

I spent a lot of time on Big Talbot Island during the early morning hours, sometimes battling sand fleas and mosquitoes, but usually discovering the sense of beauty in this place. Big Talbot Island is slowly eroding into the ocean. In places the beach is littered with dead trees that have fallen down and are now partially buried in the sand. Not far from here is Jekyll Island in Georgia which has a very similar landscape and is very popular with photographers. I had this island to myself in the morning.

Sunrise on Big Talbot Island by Richard Lewis

Sunrise on Big Talbot Island by Richard Lewis 2015

Big Talbot Island in the Twilight by Richard Lewis

Big Talbot Island in the Twilight by Richard Lewis 2015

Florida Trees

When you open your eyes, the photographs start to jump out at you. These three happened on the short walk back to my car from the beach. It is amazing how the light interacts with the thick and lush tropical forest landscape. I don’t know enough about these trees to identify them. Feel free to leave a comment if you know what any of them are.

Shoreline Forest by Richard Lewis

Shoreline Forest by Richard Lewis 2015

Intimate Florida Forest by Richard Lewis

Intimate Florida Forest by Richard Lewis 2015

Old Tree by Richard Lewis

Old Tree by Richard Lewis 2015

Amelia Island

Amelia Island is a tourist destination which is similar to our our New Jersey shore. Just like the Jersey shore, I was attracted to the salt marshes. This photograph practically screamed at me as I was driving by it on the way to a bay side beach to watch the sunset.

Evening on Amelia Island by Richard Lewis

Evening on Amelia Island by Richard Lewis 2015

Finding Florida was a really interesting experience in seeing. I’m looking forward to heading down there again in the Fall.

2017-05-19T10:36:02+00:00May 19th, 2015|8 Comments

1. derrickjknight May 20, 2015 at 7:27 am - Reply

Well you certainly found your subjects Rich. All the pictures are good, but the Big Talbot ones are exceptional.

• Rich Lewis May 21, 2015 at 11:19 am - Reply

Thanks Derrick. I appreciate your comments and your support of my blog. I hope all is well with you.

2. Ralph Berglund May 20, 2015 at 8:59 pm - Reply

I enjoyed your images, Rich, particularly after our discussion of Amelia Island.

• Rich Lewis May 21, 2015 at 11:20 am - Reply

Thanks Ralph. I appreciate your compliment and the conversation the other day.

3. MikeP May 24, 2015 at 12:11 am - Reply

So glad you posted this, as it gives me hope of one day finding the urge to go to Florida and shoot something other than birds. I believe your instincts from shooting up north just took over once you were out and about. That last sot does it all for me… nice leading line of the old fence to the boats… perfecto!!!
    Now can you scout out Dallas,TX for me because I too leave my camera home when I visit yearly 🙂

• Rich Lewis May 24, 2015 at 2:30 am - Reply

Thanks Mike for the comment. I’m glad you mentioned the last photograph. It is one of my favorites because it was just such a perfect scene with really sweet light. That old dock was a nice little compositional bonus that made setting this photograph really fun.

Houston huh? There’s a challenge.

4. denisebushphoto May 27, 2015 at 2:36 am - Reply

Well you certainly found the photographs in Florida! I think they are all excellent making it difficult to pick favorites, however after careful consideration I will say that the first and last images appeal to me most. The first 2 remind me of the spot I went to in South Carolina.

• Rich Lewis May 27, 2015 at 10:07 am - Reply

Thanks Denise. I’m glad you like the last photograph because I believe it was your voice that was screaming in my head to stop. It seems so much like a scene you would also be attracted to. There seems to be several places in the South with dead trees littering the beaches due to erosion. I had originally intended to photograph this kind of scene on Jekyll Island in Georgia which was an hour north of where I was staying. I was surprised and happy to find Big Talbot Island only a few minutes away.