White Hill Mansion

White Hill Mansion

• White Hill Mansion

More Photographs from a quirky piece of American History.

Sequels are not just a trend in movies, they happen in photography too. Many photographers revisit locations that attract and continue to interpert them creatively. When I photographed the Abandoned White Hill Mansion months ago, I felt I had finished that project. At least that was until I had the pleasure of leading photography workshops there. It’s fun for me and a great fund raiser for the Friends of White Hill Mansion whose mission is to preserve the building and its history. In a previous blog post I wrote about the history and showed photographs from the mansion.

The photographers who attend these workshops are are an interesting lot. Some bring props and costumes to create scenes, and others are interested in photographing the decay. They use everything from smartphones to professional cameras and lighting to accomplish this. Being around all these creative people, I couldn’t help but be inspired to see White Hill Mansion with a different eye. I normally do not photograph while leading workshops for other photographers, but the last two groups at the mansion encouraged me to join in. Here are the results, or my sequel to the Abandoned White Hill Mansion project.

White Hill Mansion

White Hill Mansion Parlor Details by Richard Lewis 2018

White Hill Mansion Cistern by Richard Lewis 2018

White Hill Mansion

View From An Attic Window by Richard Lewis 2018

White Hill Mansion

White Hill Mansion Attic Rooms by Richard Lewis 2018

White Hill Mansion

Second Floor Mantel Detail by Richard Lewis

White Hill Mansion

If Wyeth Went To White Hill by Richard Lewis 2018

Photography is full of opposing views that are both right. One of those is whether it’s better to photograph alone or in groups with well made arguments for both sides. I tend to be a loner when it comes to photography as it helps me bond with the environment I’m in. Although the few times I have photographed with groups has not been disappointing, because there is a nice synergy that can happen in a group creative people.

The featured photograph in this post, “If Wyeth Went To White Hill” was directly inspired by fellow photographer Kim Brown. She created a beautiful abstractly composed photograph on one of my workshops. Abstract compositions of real places were the hallmark of artist Andrew Wyeth who has been a big influence in my work. After clicking the shutter to create this image, I felt a little pat on my back. Was it one of the famed White Hill Mansion ghosts, or the spirit of Wyeth himself? Maybe it was just a breeze from this drafty abandoned building.

Learn More About My Photography Workshops

See More Photographs of Abandoned Buildings

2018-04-27T18:10:38+00:00 May 1st, 2018|14 Comments

1. Bonnie Rovere May 2, 2018 at 8:40 am - Reply

Great photos! I love all the details!

• Rich Lewis May 3, 2018 at 8:00 pm - Reply

Thanks Bonnie. You were one of the people that inspired these photographs.

2. Stephen Robinson May 3, 2018 at 7:09 am - Reply

When I first looked at the top photo I thought “that looks like a Wyeth”. Then I read the aptly named title below. Great shot my favorite of this group.

• Rich Lewis May 3, 2018 at 7:58 pm - Reply

Thanks. I’m glad you noticed the Wyeth influence. The view down that hallway just screamed his name.

3. Craig McCord Photography May 3, 2018 at 7:41 am - Reply

Richard, Great images here. I love the geometry in some of these shots, elements coming together for great compositions. Some I think would also make some great black and white studies.

• Rich Lewis May 3, 2018 at 7:56 pm - Reply

It’s fun to look at these 3 dimensional spaces and convert them to 2 dimensional designs. I will try to look at some of these as black and whites. If I come up with anything good, I’ll post it on Facebook. Thanks for the suggestion.

4. MikeP May 4, 2018 at 9:38 pm - Reply

I see someone got his groove on… your separation of space and use of “Wyeth” like pallets make viewing these pics fresh and original. I still have a hard time re-visiting a site… not sure why but by being exposed to your work and others, sure does pull at my creative urges!!!

• Rich Lewis May 19, 2018 at 4:46 pm - Reply

Thanks for the kind words. I think revisiting places is a personal preference. There isn’t a right or wrong opinion. Me, I enjoy the challenge of finding something new when I’m at a place more than one time.

5. Rajiv May 5, 2018 at 1:17 am - Reply

Super!

• Rich Lewis May 5, 2018 at 7:26 am - Reply

Thank you Rajiv.

6. Tom Jagielo MSMCC May 5, 2018 at 8:08 pm - Reply

Great Images as always, Thank you for sharing them!

• Rich Lewis May 13, 2018 at 8:03 am - Reply

Thanks Tom, I appreciate your compliment.

7. denisebushphoto May 19, 2018 at 10:01 am - Reply

Love the geometry in these images … wonderful work (as always)!

• Rich Lewis May 19, 2018 at 4:03 pm - Reply

Thanks Denise. Hanging around with all those creative people made me think very differently about photographing abandoned places.