Four Weeks In The Pinelands

Four Weeks In The Pinelands

• Pine Barrens Fall Reflections

A Very Nice New Jersey Fall

Every year it starts around the beginning of October. At camera clubs, coffee shops, on social media, chance meetings in the field, or anywhere New Jersey landscape photographers gather, they start to exchange predictions about the quality of the coming fall colors. There are theories, so many theories, about the weather, the frost, the temperature and more. But all these discussions are really just a way to pass the time until the end of October when the colors peak in New Jersey.

Theories aside, this year was a great year for color in the New Jersey Pinelands. Probably one of the best I’ve seen. For four weeks from mid October to early in November, I was out photographing almost every day. Join me below and enjoy this little trip through Fall in the Pinelands.

Week 1 – Early Fall In The Pinelands

By Mid-October the everything was beginning to show the signs of great color. It was during these early shoots that I realized that we were in for something special.

Pastel Dawn Whitesbog Pine Barrens

Pastel Dawn by Richard Lewis 2018

Whitesbog Fall Morning by Richard Lewis 2018

Pine Barrens Fall Along The Mullica

Fall Along The Mullica by Richard Lewis 2018

Pinelands Mullica River Mist

Mullica River Mist by Richard Lewis 2018

First Light on the Batsto River by Richard Lewis 2018

Pine Barrens Decorated For Fall

Decorated for Fall by Richard Lewis 2018

Friendship Fall by Richard Lewis 2018

Week 2 and 3 – Pinelands Fall By The Water

By the last week in October the colors became intense, proving that the New Jersey Pinelands is more than just a bunch of pine trees. I made it a point to be out every day, long before dawn, heading deep in the Pines to catch the early light along the rivers and bogs.

A Fall Scene with a Touch Of Mist by Richard Lewis 2018

Fall Tree by Richard Lewis 2018

Deep in the Pinelands by Richard Lewis 2018

Colorful Pinelands Moonset by Richard Lewis 2018

Pine Barrens Fall Reflections

Reflections on a Fall Forest by Richard Lewis 2018

Pinelands Fall Scene by Richard Lewis 2018

Fall Reflections by Richard Lewis 2018

Fiery Fall Colors by Richard Lewis 2018

Week 2 and 3 – Fall In The Pinelands Forests

Throughout the Pinelands are stands of deciduous trees. Their color this year was absolutely beautiful allowing the creation of colorful intimate landscapes.

Pinelands Fall Treescape by Richard Lewis 2018

Pinelands Fall Textures by Richard Lewis 2018

Four Red Trees by Richard Lewis 2018

Fall Along the Riverbank by Richard Lewis 2018

Bog Color by Richard Lewis 2018

Deeper in the Woods by Richard Lewis 2018

Even These are Beautiful in the Fall by Richard Lewis 2018

Fall Textures in The Preserve by Richard Lewis 2018

Week 5 – All Good Things Come To An End

Falling temperatures, rain and wind brought an end to the fall leaves. Yes, all good things come to an end, but new good things surely follow as the winter textures of the Pinelands start to reveal themselves.

King of The Swamp by Richard Lewis 2018

Rainbow Bridge by Richard Lewis 2018

Pinelands Birches In The Late Afternoon

Birch in the Late Afternoon by Richard Lewis 2018

This year friends in New England reported less than exceptional fall colors during their famous “leaf peeping” season. While the flocks of tourists there may have been disappointed, we locals were not. The New Jersey Pinelands tends to play second, or even third fiddle to many U.S. landscapes, but there is magic in these Pines to those who seek it and makes this a place like no other.

See more of my Pinelands Photography here

Postscript: The last phrase is this post is actually the title of a book I’ve been asked to write called The New Jersey Pinelands, A Place Like No Other. Look for it in late 2019 or early 2020.

2018-11-18T09:39:33+00:00November 16th, 2018|26 Comments

1. Dave Sanders November 16, 2018 at 7:59 pm - Reply

Your vision of the Pine Barrens is quite astonishing. Although I have been through it many times on the way to other places it never occured to me to that this was a place worth exploring.

• Rich Lewis November 17, 2018 at 6:32 am - Reply

Thank you Dave. I hope you get to explore this amazing place soon.

2. Anushka November 16, 2018 at 11:00 pm - Reply

Very Beautiful! Treat to the eyes and the soul!

• Rich Lewis November 17, 2018 at 6:31 am - Reply

Thank you very much Anushka. I find that time in the Pinelands is always a treat for my soul.

3. Mike Pillows November 17, 2018 at 8:28 am - Reply

WOW… what a way to wake up the photo senses!!! Sure did seem like the colors were everywhere rather than the ususal hide and seek comps. Love the moon set and the way fall progressed through your pics and weeks… great blog of our hidden gem… “THE PINES”.

• Rich Lewis November 17, 2018 at 8:30 pm - Reply

Thanks Mike. Glad to wake up those senses. It was an amazing fall and I’m glad I had the time to explore it in detail this year. It never ceases to amaze me that right down the street from the busy highways and crowded communities are these amazing woods.

4. Ken Curtis November 17, 2018 at 8:39 am - Reply

Exceptional photos, Rich. You certainly show the beauty of the NJ pinelands.

• Rich Lewis November 17, 2018 at 8:25 pm - Reply

Thanks Ken. I appreciate it.

5. Craig McCord Photography November 17, 2018 at 9:16 am - Reply

These are fantastic images, Rich.

• Rich Lewis November 17, 2018 at 8:25 pm - Reply

Thanks Craig. I’m going to have to get you out here one day to photograph.

6. Bonnie Rovere November 17, 2018 at 10:16 am - Reply

Wonderful as always!

• Rich Lewis November 17, 2018 at 8:24 pm - Reply

Thanks Bonnie

7. Mike Dereskewicz November 17, 2018 at 11:36 am - Reply

Absolutely beautiful images. You convey the sense-of-place of the Pine Barrens so well.

• Rich Lewis November 17, 2018 at 8:24 pm - Reply

Thanks Mike. The Pine Barrens are a place I feel very comfortable with and quite connected to.

8. Eric Spinner November 17, 2018 at 12:14 pm - Reply

Beautiful images – Breath taking photography!
    Thank you for posting these Rich!

• Rich Lewis November 17, 2018 at 8:22 pm - Reply

Hi Eric. It is my pleasure to post these and I appreciate your comment and compliment.

9. Jon Forman November 17, 2018 at 1:19 pm - Reply

Fantastic as always. Entertainment for the eyes. Thanks so much for sharing your amazing talents

• Rich Lewis November 17, 2018 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Thanks Jon. I’m glad you enjoyed these photographs.

10. Barry Nealis November 17, 2018 at 9:27 pm - Reply

One word… Beautiful!

• Rich Lewis November 18, 2018 at 6:25 am - Reply

Thanks Barry. I appreciate it.

11. Mare November 18, 2018 at 9:22 pm - Reply

Thank you for using your talent to showcase our very own pinelands gem. It is intriguing how you are able to capture its beauty with your eye for each unique and delicious photo!

• Rich Lewis November 19, 2018 at 5:05 pm - Reply

It’s my pleasure to share the Pinelands on this blog and everywhere else I speak about photography. We live in an amazing place. Thank you for your compliment on my work.

12. Jan Kies November 20, 2018 at 8:32 am - Reply

Be still my heart!! These are exquisite Rich! Absolutely beautiful! If it weren’t for the 2+ hours drive and nearly $20 in tolls I’d be up there every day! 🙂 Can’t wait for the book to come out!

• Rich Lewis November 20, 2018 at 3:37 pm - Reply

Thanks Janet. I know it’s a long trip for you, but yet you’ve done it more than once and have enjoyed the Pines as much as we locals do. I can’t wait for the book either. It’s a lot of work.

13. Louis Dallara Fine Art Photography November 21, 2018 at 9:38 am - Reply

Excellent collection of Pine lands fall images.

• Rich Lewis November 22, 2018 at 8:19 am - Reply